Monday, November 29, 2010

It has been awhile since I  last wrote on here, and I apologize. I have been keeping busy...

First off, I'm still in England. The rest of my time spent at Cambridge consisted of meeting more scholars and gentlemen, a few ''sirs'' and some more lawyers were thrown in the mix. Renad took me to dinner at a pub called the Eagle, which has become famous because that's where DNA was discovered. The scholars responsible for coming up with the equations for DNA apparently frequented the pub and would meet there to not only drink, but to brainstorm. Finally, one night they famously announced, ''we have discovered the secret of life!'' The pub is nothing special, your typical English pub- but the sign on the wall above one table in the corner that these world famous geniuses  had sat at is what makes it so special.
Cambridge was beautiful. It's an awkward city to get to, which is annoying, but if you ever get the chance to go, definitely check it out!

This past week I have been doing some more work for David at his office, making some easy pocket money. On Wednesday though, their family friend Suzanne, who is actually from Toronto, came to stay with them. We decided to go and check out Blenheim Palace on Thursday. It was absolutely stunning. Not only has it been home to countless Dukes and Duchesses over the years, but Sir Winston Churchill was born here, and spent much of his childhood visiting. The new film, Gulliver's Travels was just filmed there as well, (with Jack Black) so there was a huge exhibit all set up showcasing the new movie. We did a lovely tour around the palace, then finished off the day with afternoon tea!

Friday we drove in to Henley, a favourite of mine from the last time I was in England. Henley-on-the-Thames is where they hold the annual world famous Henley regatta. A beautiful little village, obviously with the Thames River running through it. We had lunch and did some window shopping, the weather has become really cold here now, so we didn't spend too long outside.

On the weekend, Harry came home from boarding school, so we all hung out, drank quite a bit of wine, had a thanksgiving-type meal on Sunday (in honour of both Canadian and American thanksgivings) and watched football and the Ashes.
The Ashes is a 5-day series of cricket matches, and is a long running tournament that is played between England and Australia. David tried to get me in to it more than once, I just couldn't do it...one of the most boring sports I have ever watched. (No offense if you enjoy it!)

I went in to work again today for David, I'm trying to decide where I want to go next! I will keep everyone posted!

xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment