Friday, November 19, 2010

Amongst Gentlemen and Scholars...

Cambridge University, where do I begin?

First off I need to explain how this school works. Oxford and Cambridge are both made up of 20-30 colleges, each having their own faculties within them. Renad belongs to Darwin College, and therefore lives in the Darwin building, donated of course by the kind Mr. Darwin himself. Ha.
Renad then informs me that we are attending a formal dinner that evening. Apparently, twice a week each College has their own formals. Imagine a Harry Potter dining room, filled with students sitting at long tables, wearing robes-yes, robes. I of course did not have a robe, so I stuck out like a sore thumb, lovely.
We walk in to the hall and Renad hands me a glass of port, ick. We then walk in to the dining room area and find our tables (we each have name cards, myself included) and then we are made to stand until the Head of the College allows us to sit.
(Renad and I both find this all extremely amusing, he apparently hates these things and never goes.)
Across from me are two of Renad's friends. One of them, Phillippe, used to work for the United Nations in New York and now is taking time off to come back to school... amazing.
We had a fabulous three course meal, then took our leave once the Head of the College permitted us to do so. Haha
The social after dinner was in the basement of Darwin College. I met Supreme Court lawyers from Canada who were really great (from Windsor, of all places!) and spent the night just in awe of everyone who I had the privilege of meeting.
More to come...

xx

1 comment: