Saturday, November 6, 2010

'Quiet desperation is the English way...'

In gorgeous, sunny (surprisingly) England I've managed to do three very English things this week.
1) Go to their new, shiney and gigantic shopping mall in London called Westfields. It's massive, think three times the size of the Eaton's Center. It is also very Euro, which makes it fun to visit. With outdoor cafe's along the perimeter, and a genius architectural design to the building- it has everything you could ever want/need/imagine. Go there if you're looking to shop whilst in London.
2) I had the opportunity to drive on the other side of the road. Now I know that I did this many times during the summer I Au Paired here, however I was not planning on doing it this time, so it came as a bit of a shock. Managed to navigate around roundabouts and hairpin tight turns just fine, stay tuned though...more driving today.
3) Last night we all went to London to see English comedian Bill Bailey's live stand-up show. It was amazing. If you don't know who he is, Youtube him. He's hilarious, and I fell in love with his comedy last time I was over here. My cheeks were literally aching from laughing so hard. Although some of the jokes were revolving around British politics, of which I only know a bit about from listening in to both the criticisms and praises that carry on around me, I nevertheless found his deliverance of each joke enjoyable. He's a funny looking guy to begin with, having big googly eyes, (you'll understand this if you youtube him) so you cannot help but laugh.

Before the show began last night, we had the chance to walk around Leicester Square, which is just off of Charing Cross, right around the corner from Trafalgar Square. Although I have been to London a  handful of times, this was my first visit to these popular, and beautiful tourist destinations. Jampacked with people on every street corner, the storefronts and sidewalk cafes were all lit up, with theaters and their twinkling lights shining on every street as well. It was a really nice area, one that I will visit again soon.

What I love about staying with locals when you're in a beautiful country such as England, is how accustomed they become to their incredible historical monuments that fill the city. We were driving home from the show, and passing by Buckingham Palace was like driving past their corner store, no big deal.
I think I have to live in London for a bit...

The sky was also lit up last night, all around the city and surrounding area with fireworks, it was Bonfire Night. It was raining, apparently the British have managed to create waterproof fireworks.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment